Musical Theatre Initiative & Cabaret
Musical Theatre Initiative & Cabaret Coordinator:
Andrew Barratt Lewis
Weber State University
Region VIII is excited to continue the Musical Theatre Initiative (MTI) and Cabaret! Students will audition with a one minute cutting for a solo and a 90 second cutting for a duet. Musical pieces are to be from a musical. If selected, they will perform the entire piece in the Cabaret – up to 5 minutes for a solo and 6 minutes for a duet. Students selected will workshop their pieces with invited guests during festival and will perform in the Cabaret. One solo or duet will be selected from the Cabaret to attend the National Festival! The runner up musical piece will receive a $100 scholarship per person.
In addition, a dance audition will be held those who wish to participate in a series of dance workshops culminating in a number performed during the Cabaret.
The deadline to sign up for the MTI is January 15!
See you at this year’s Festival’s Musical Theatre Initiative and Cabaret!
Some Policies and Procedures
- Students wishing to participate in the musical portion must have a faculty member willing to sponsor and coach them. The student must fill out the form found here including the name of their coach.
- For duets both competitors must fill out a form.
- Students will sign in during Festival registration to receive their audition time slot.
- Students may be a part of both the Irene Ryans and the Musical Theatre Initiative but may not use the same piece in the MTI as used in the Ryans. Please note: The new MTI does not change the Ryans in anyway and Ryan nominees may use a Musical Theatre selection for Irene Ryans – just not the same selection.
- Students must bring Sheet Music for their piece placed in plastic sheet protectors with the cutting clearly marked.
- An accompanist will be provided for both the audition and the Cabaret.
- Dancers are asked to fill out a form stating their intent to audition for the dance audition and Cabaret performance. If audition slots are still available dancers (dancers only) may also sign up to audition at festival.