Musical Theatre Initiative & Cabaret Coordinator:
Andrew Barratt Lewis
Weber State University
Region 8 is excited to continue the Musical Theatre Initiative (MTI) and Cabaret as part of our 2022 Virtual Conference! The majority of our event will be very similar to last year’s virtual conference, though we are working to streamline the process as much as possible. We will not have an MTI Dance portion this year as it is very difficult to accomplish via zoom, but we look forward to reincorporating dance next year!
INSTRUCTIONS FOR 2022
– Students will prepare and submit a 60 second VIDEO AUDITION singing a musical theatre solo prior to the festival. Due to our virtual format this year, Duets will NOT be accepted.
– Intent to Participate Forms and Video Auditions are due by January 24, 2022.
– Selectors will review ALL preliminary audition videos and select 16 students to participate in the MTI Virtual Cabaret which will be streamed towards the end of the festival.
– Finalists will receive coaching during the festival week and will then submit a video of their full song performance (not to exceed 5 minutes) to be included in the MTI Cabaret.
– One performer will be selected from the Cabaret to attend the National Festival! The runner up will receive a $100 scholarship.
See you at this year’s Musical Theatre Initiative and Cabaret!
Some Policies and Procedures
– Students wishing to participate in the MTI Singing portion must have a faculty member willing to sponsor and coach them. The student must fill out the form found here including the name of their coach.
– Students may be a part of both the Irene Ryans and the Musical Theatre Initiative but may not use the same piece in the MTI as used in the Ryans. Please note: MTI does not change the Ryans in anyway and Ryan nominees may use a Musical Theatre selection for Irene Ryans – just not the same selection.
– Due to the time sensitive nature of this year’s festival. Late video submission WILL NOT be accepted.
– For questions and concerns regarding the Region 8 Musical Theatre Initiative & Cabaret please reach out to Andrew Barratt Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
KCACTF MTI Fellowship Program
National Program Description
The National KCACTF Musical Theatre Fellowship program is designed to celebrate, recognize, and foster outstanding musical theatre students from colleges and universities throughout the nation. The National Musical Theatre Fellowship cohort will be comprised of at least one student selected from each of the eight Regional festivals. Selected students will receive an all-expenses paid trip to the KCACTF National Festival at the Kennedy Center to participate in the Musical Theatre Intensive Fellowship. The curriculum is designed and led by KCACTF representatives and D.C. Theatre professionals.
The National Fellowship will include, but is not limited to:
- Experiential singing, dance, and acting workshops and master classes with D.C. and national artists
- Panel Discussions with professional Musical Theatre performers, directors, and musicians
- Individual coaching sessions
- Attendance of D.C. area professional musical theatre productions
- Participation in a group number performance
- Showcase of solo performance and group numbers in as a part of the National Festival’s Irene Ryan and Musical Theatre Fellow Showcase.
- Singing ability
- Stage presence
- Demonstrated mastery of an expressive vocal and physical instrument
- Ability to urgently pursue strong, clear objectives through song
- Ability to make varied, specific and bold acting choices while singing
- Preliminary Round of MTI Auditions
- Semi-Final Round of MTI Auditions
- Final Round of MTI Auditions
- MTI Cabaret and/or Final Public Showcase
- Dance Auditions and Dance Showcase
- MTI Coaching Sessions from Guest Artists
- MTI Feedback Sessions