Musical Theatre Initiative & Cabaret
Musical Theatre Initiative & Cabaret Coordinator:
Andrew Barratt Lewis
Weber State University
Region 8 is excited to continue the Musical Theatre Initiative (MTI) and Cabaret! Students will audition with a one minute cutting for a solo and a 90 second cutting for a duet. Musical pieces are to be from a musical. If selected, they will perform the entire piece in the Cabaret – up to 5 minutes for a solo and 6 minutes for a duet. Students selected will workshop their pieces with invited guests during festival and will perform in the Cabaret. One solo or duet will be selected from the Cabaret to attend the National Festival! The runner up musical piece will receive a $100 scholarship per person.
In addition, a dance audition will be held those who wish to participate in a series of dance workshops culminating in a number performed during the Cabaret.
The deadline to sign up for the MTI is January 15!
See you at this year’s Festival’s Musical Theatre Initiative and Cabaret!
KCACTF MTI Fellowship Program
National Program Description
The National KCACTF Musical Theatre Fellowship program is designed to celebrate, recognize, and foster outstanding musical theatre students from colleges and universities throughout the nation. The National Musical Theatre Fellowship cohort will be comprised of at least one student selected from each of the eight Regional festivals. Selected students will receive an all-expenses paid trip to the KCACTF National Festival at the Kennedy Center to participate in the Musical Theatre Intensive Fellowship. The curriculum is designed and led by KCACTF representatives and D.C. Theatre professionals.
The National Fellowship will include, but is not limited to:
-Experiential singing, dance, and acting workshops and master classes with D.C. and national artists
-Panel Discussions with professional Musical Theatre performers, directors, and musicians
-Individual coaching sessions
-Attendance of D.C. area professional musical theatre productions
-Participation in a group number performance
-Showcase of solo performance and group numbers in as a part of the National Festival’s Irene Ryan and Musical Theatre Fellow Showcase.
Applicants for the Musical Theatre Intensive Fellowship are evaluated based upon the following criteria:
-Demonstrated mastery of an expressive vocal and physical instrument
-Ability to urgently pursue strong, clear objectives through song
-Ability to make varied, specific and bold acting choices while singing
One or more students from the National Musical Theatre Fellowship Cohort will receive an all- expenses paid scholarship to the Open Jar Institute Summer Intensive – five days of high intensity workshops in acting, singing, dance, and audition technique – all taught by Broadway professionals. Additional awards may be offered in the future.
Musical Theatre Intensive programming may vary from Region to Region, but all Regions will invite Guest Artists (possibly including a rep from Open Jar) or Faculty from outside their Region to serve as selectors who will use the above criteria to determine which student(s) will represent their Region at the National Musical Theatre Intensive Fellowship. Regional programming may include any or all of the following:
-Preliminary Round of MTI Auditions
-Semi-Final Round of MTI Auditions
-Final Round of MTI Auditions
-MTI Cabaret and/or Final Public Showcase
-Dance Auditions and Dance Showcase
-MTI Coaching Sessions from Guest Artists
-MTI Feedback Sessions
If you have questions about the Musical Theatre Intensive Fellowship program, please contact: Brad Dell, email@example.com.
Some Policies and Procedures
- Students wishing to participate in the musical portion must have a faculty member willing to sponsor and coach them. The student must fill out the form found here including the name of their coach.
- For duets both competitors must fill out a form.
- Students will sign in during Festival registration to receive their audition time slot.
- Students may be a part of both the Irene Ryans and the Musical Theatre Initiative but may not use the same piece in the MTI as used in the Ryans. Please note: The new MTI does not change the Ryans in anyway and Ryan nominees may use a Musical Theatre selection for Irene Ryans – just not the same selection.
- Students must bring sheet music for their piece with the cutting clearly marked.
- An accompanist will be provided for both the audition and the Cabaret.
- Dancers are asked to fill out a form stating their intent to audition for the dance audition and Cabaret performance. If audition slots are still available dancers (dancers only) may also sign up to audition at festival.