What is Devising?
Devising is a 21st century term for the act of creating performance that moves away from traditional text-centered approaches and toward transdisciplinary performance explorations. A devised work is an original, newly constructed piece of theatre art that can begin with an idea, a concept, or an impulse. Tools for creating a devised work are unlimited, and can be adapted from many disciplines including circus, physical theatre, fine art, music, dance, architecture, science, etcetera. Meanings are found in a multiplex system of textual, kinesthetic, sonic, visual, and visceral sensory input. Devising is a continually morphing way of working that requires a team of participants who contribute lived experience and artistry to the processes of creating the completed project.
As part of our initiative to educate and support devised work, KCACTF Region 8 is committed to dedicating time and space for devised performances created by college/university students with faculty and/or guest artists. It is expected that this work is created at your institution, guided or “directed” by faculty utilizing the National prompt before the festival, and then brought to share at the Festival. There will be space set aside to rehearse your work at the festival. These works will be performed at the College on the last day of the festival. Faculty can submit an application or get more information on the application page: Go to kcactf-8.org, select Devising from the list of programs; then select on: “Devised Performance Project Intent to Participate Form”. If you have questions please contact
Devised Performance Coordinator
Your entry must be submitted by December 15, to receive full consideration. (Please see the prompt for project logistics and parameters.)
KCACTF National Devised Theatre Project 2020
Work lights up/down provided, any additional lighting will be ensemble-generated
Regions provide electrical power, ensemble must provide all technical sources (music sources, extension cords, projector, clip lights, etc)
20 minute time limit which must include set-up, performance and strike
- Set up and strike can be part of the performance
- Contributions of the ensemble are to be balanced and evenly distributed
- Not every member of the ensemble must perform, but the majority should
- Faculty advisors may provide outside-eye feedback, but students should drive the work
- No live flame
- No smoking
- No functional weapons
- Each showing will be given a short response from regional faculty and/or devising guest artists. Each deviser will be expected to speak articulately about their work, displaying rigor of process and responsibility for form and content.
- Devising isn’t an aesthetic; it’s a process. This approach to creating new work includes multiple aesthetics, production value spectrums, and performance styles.
- Regions will only provide the space; ensembles must bring everything else. Be careful about making assumptions (availability of chairs, acting blocks, etc)
- Deadline for submission – December 15th (or set by individual region co-ordinators)
- Schools may enter multiple groups for the devising initiative.
- To participate in Region 8, send intent to participate email to bree valle at email@example.com by December 15th.
Response/Awards For Devised Work