2022 Rules and Overview
ATTN: DEADLINES EXTENDED!!
New Intent to Participate Deadline is January 15, 2022.
New Self-Tape Submissions via Airtable are from January 10th-January 24th.
*Please note…nominees will receive the Airtable link for your self-tape submissions once your Intent is submitted.
*Disregard the dates mentioned in the video below in regards to these deadlines, these are the new deadlines.
2022 Irene Ryan Guidelines and Overview
Same guidelines for self-taping and introduction from above apply.
- PRELIMINARY/SEMI-FINAL ROUND SUBMISSION: Self-Taped Pre-Recorded Submission consisting of one preliminary monologue (90 seconds or less – no song) AND a scene with a partner, not to exceed 5 minutes in total. The preliminary respondents and adjudicators will just be looking at the monologue, but we need both the monologue AND the scene in the same pre-recorded self-tape for administrative purposes. Just to be clear you are only uploading one file, which includes a continuous take of your introduction, monologue first, and then scene. Preliminary respondents and adjudicators will stop looking at your tape after the last beat of your monologue. Semi-Final respondents and adjudicators will look at the whole self-tape submission, which is why the monologue needs to be first.
- FINAL ROUND: LIVE ZOOM session on the Friday, February 11th, which will include the same material as previous rounds in addition to a second contrasting monologue for the nominee. Total package of both monologues and scene may not exceed 6 minutes. Time of Final Round and a Tech Run is TBD on that day.
- Intent to Participate will be due January 15th. Submission Dates for the Self-Tapes will be January 10th to January 24th. Once you submit your Intent to Participate, you will receive an email with an Airtable Submission link to upload your self-tape.
- Need to follow rules of the Red List and Green List, which can be found: http://www.kcactf.org/performance/irene-ryan-scholarship-auditions/royalties-and-permissions.html
- You will introduce yourself and your partner and then your pieces at the beginning of your tape. Then take a beat and go into your first monologue. Then transition into your scene. Introduction/ slate should include your full name, your partner’s full name, and the titles of your pieces and respective playwrights. Then take a beat and go. Introduction will not be included in the time frame. DO NOT say your college or university in your slate or you will be disqualified.
- Perform one piece in a medium frame closer to camera (chest up) and then another a little farther away (hips/thighs up). Lock the frame and keep it simple for each performance piece. Camera shouldn’t move during the monologue or scene. The camera should be at eye level. Best practice is to do everything in one take, no internal editing within the monologue or within the scene. But if you need to film monologue and scene separately and then edit them together, that is fine.
ZOOM RECORDINGS: If you are recording your monologue and scene submissions on zoom then please introduce yourself and your partner with both people’s cameras on, both pinned. Your partner can then turn their camera off and unpin themselves while you perform your monologue. Once you’re done, your partner turns their camera on and pins themself again. Then you both go through performing your scene on zoom. That recording can be submitted via AirTable.
- When you submit your self-tape in January through the Airtable link, it will ask you to upload a PHOTO of yourself. This CAN be a headshot if you have one, but it doesn’t need to be. It just needs to be an updated close up photo of you, so we can identify you in your self-tape submission. This will be in no way used for any type of response or judging, it is merely administrative.
- Please upload either MP4 (preferred) or MOV files.
Self-nominations include a self-tape submission of a possible preliminary monologue (90 seconds or less) and will be accepted between December 1st-December 3rd via the Region 8 website. Same guidelines for self-taping and introduction from above apply.
If you are chosen to continue on to the KCACTF Region 8 Preliminary Round, you will be notified by December 15th, so you can prepare your Preliminary Package for the January submission.
· Nominees may participate as partners for other nominees with the option to utilize the same scene in both audition packages. Partners may participate in scenes for two nominees. Nominees and partners may only participate in two packages overall.
· No songs are allowed in this year’s Irene Ryan packages.
· All public health protocols and requirements observed by the students’ home institution should be observed in the preparation of the Irene Ryan Acting Scholarship audition, whether it be with a scene partner or coach.
Irene Ryan Scholarship Auditions Co-Directors:
Vanessa Mizzone Pellegrini
East Los Angeles College
Since 1972, the Irene Ryan Foundation of Encino, California, has awarded scholarships to the outstanding student performers at each regional festival. These scholarships are made possible by the generosity of the late Irene Ryan, who is best remembered for her portrayal of the lovable and feisty ‘Granny Clampett’ in The Beverly Hillbillies. All student actors in both Participating and Associate productions are eligible for consideration for the $500 regional scholarships
The Irene Ryan Scholarships provide recognition, honor, and financial assistance to outstanding student performers wishing to pursue further education. The Irene Ryan Foundation awards 8 regional awards and two national scholarships annually. There are two scholarships of $3,500 each for the winners at the national festival in Washington, D.C.